Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: I Hate Luv Storys *Spoilers*



I Hate Luv Storys
Stars: Imran Khan, Sonam Kapoor
Directed by: Punit Malhotra
Released: 2010


For a month or two now, I've been perusing the Bollywood section of Netflix Instant Watch and noticing I Hate Luv Storys. I'd heard about it a few times outside of that, and knew that I thought Imran Khan was the hottest thing since a summer in the desert. However, I'd heard that Sonam's acting was terrible and Imran reminds me of someone I'd much rather forget, so I was hesitant. Finally, after sucking it up, I decided to watch it. At first, like with most Bollywood movies I turn on, I was alarmed by the length of the film - 2 and a half hours - and I was sure that I would quickly get bored with it - I. Was. Wrong.

I was instantly captured by the beauty of a certain hero, humor, cliches and mentions of other films that I'd seen. I got a kick out of hearing mentions of Devdas and going "I understand that!" - But that's mainly because I'm just a spaz. There was a point where I began to wonder if perhaps it was going to get boring when Simran and Jay were doing their "I HATE YOU" act, but the movie quickly moved onto more interesting scenes and began to develop their friendship and then romance.

But like all romances in Bollywood, the hero and heroine can't just be together and be happy - noooo, Simran has to be with a man named Raj (Ha. Ha. Ha) since childhood and be completely dedicated to her Mr. Right, who doesn't even realize that she hates the color white although that's the only type of flowers he ever gets her. (Needless to say, Jay gets her red, which she loves). However, after a while, Simran realizes that she loves Mr. Wrong as well but when she confessed it to Jay, he is befuddled and turns her down - not understanding where her feelings had come from. But, again, as we often see in BW, he soon realizes (about half way through the film and too late of course) that he loves her as well and begins his quest to win her heart.

The acting was so/so. As much as I love Imran Khan, he does have a long way to go with his acting. He delivers comedy very well and made me laugh numerous times throughout the movie, but there were several times when I just got annoyed with him - such as when he was upset over his relationship with Simran and had the same look on his face in every. single. scene. However, my annoyance with him can't be at all compared with the large annoyance I had with Sonam Kapoor. She's a pretty face and had her moments, but she can hardly be called an actress. She needs to take lessons from Kareena. Funnily enough, I actually got a kick out of Bruna Abdullah. In the beginning of the movie, she is just a dumb girl with an annoying voice that Jay picks up at a night club, but later she comes back into the movie to help with his plan to get Simran and, although still annoying, she delivered some nice comedy. I just wish she didn't sound so out of place speaking Hindi..

The music was FABULOUS I think. I adored I Hate Luv Storys, Jab Mila Tu, and Sadka Kiya (Sonam and Imran's little number was super cute!) See for yourself:






Overall, a good movie I think. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and for the first time in a long time - was not bored with it at all! Check it out!

Rating:7/10

5 comments:

Gaja Gamini said...

GREAT review! Truly enyjoed reading it and couldn´t agree more about Imran and Sonam! However for me this film was the worst romcom of the last year..... Doesn´t change the fact this review is awesome... and leaves me hungry for more :D

Kassy said...

I'm glad you liked to review Ally :) I looked and saw yours after I finished mine and was like, wow she gave it a 2.5 and I have it a 7 xD What different tastes and thoughts we have!

Remini said...

One thing that struck me was how PRETTY the movie looked. Every shot, set, decorations, clothes.. all were top notch. I found the story a bit silly, but Imran was so adorable as the bad boy :) Plus the songs were integrated so nicely into the narrative, plus they were really nice - melody and lyrics wise. Glad you liked it. It's not mindblowing cinema, but it deserves a bit of love.

Kassy said...

Remini - If you REALLY want to see Immy as the bad boy, watch Kidnap (which I will be doing a review on very soon :P) Although I must warn you.. It sucked. I only watched it for him! But yes, IHLS had great sets and it looked gorgeous.

The Bolly Hood said...

I hated the movie (surely that's OK judging by the title), but love all the songs - especially 'Bahara' and 'Bin Tere'.