Friday, June 17, 2011

Kassy On Celebs - Shiney Ahuja

Shiney Ahuja



I have a feeling this post won't be very well received if you're familiar with Shiney and the legal issues surrounding him, but that's exactly why I'm doing it. So let's get started:

He has gorgeous eyes and a smile that could knock any girl over. He also has a lot of talent and has the power to make any character that he plays believable. Who is he? He's Shiney Ahuja and all these great qualities he has go right out the window when someone hears that he was recently convicted of raping his maid.

Now, normally this would make me fall right out of love with him... only the evidence is in his favor. The maid who originally accused Shiney of raping her later retracted her statement and told the courts that she only accused Shiney because a friend bribed her into doing. The courts still continued to prosecute Shiney and he was convicted and sentenced to 7 years in prison. Not long after that however, he was bailed out and is now free as the higher courts in India discuss his case. I feel terrible for Shiney since so many people assume that he is still guilty even when the woman who accused him came out and say that he never did.

But putting his personal issues aside, his acting skills are great and getting even better as time goes on. My first Shiney movie was Gangster - which is one of my very favorite movies ever. In this movie, he doesn't have as many speaking parts as his costars Kangana Ranaut and Emraan Hashmi have, but he still is able to deliver every thought and emotion through his body language, eyes and facial expressions. I was completely taken away with him and this love only grew when I moved on to watch Woh Lahme. Again paired with Kangana, he played a different role in which he is a movie director who wants to make it big and will do almost anything to get there. His feelings for Kangana's character seemed very realistic and very heartfelt. He seemed to truly get into his character and love Kangana's. But what I think is his best role is Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi which in the end he ends up mentally handicapped. He was good all throughout, but it was the last few moments that took my breath away. He did very well and even won the Filmfare award for best male debut - an award well deserved.

Despite the setback that Shiney has unfortunately suffered, I have no doubt that he will be able to make his way back into the Bollywood film industry and get back on the fast track to the top he'd been getting closer and closer to until his image was scarred.

Star Rating: 8/10

6 comments:

ChicagoCarole said...

Kassy,
I so agree with everything you said. I was shocked to learn about his trouble with this rape charge. I just rewatched Gangster for the third time. I love it. I also liked him in Life in a Metro. I was happy to see that he was granted bail by the HC and hopefully all charges will be proven false. Thanks for sharing...

Mette said...

Okay, now I find it hard to say anything about Shiney without having seen one of his films... I didn't know that the woman later said, he didn't rape her, but I think we'll never know who said the truth. Of course, many celebs are accused of raping, like Michael Jackson for instance, because they have what others want: the big bucks.
I think it's brave of you to write what you think, and thank you for recommending those movies, I'll make sure to watch them.

Kassy said...

Carole - I'm glad to see that you feel the same way I do about the Shiney situation. He just has so much to offer Indian cinema and it makes me sad to see that it might be taken away from him because his maid was put up to lying about a rape. I've also watched Gangster several times and I just love it - he did a great job :)

Kassy said...

Lime(tte) - I'm glad you kept an open mind while reading my post on Shiney and I hope you really will give him and his movies a chance. I agree that we will never really know the full truth, but I think that the fact that the 'victim' took back her initial statement says something for Mr. Ahuja. Thanks for reading :)

The Bolly 'Hood said...

I think it's totally fair that you've rated Shiney on his acting abilities rather than his personal character--especially in this case, since it's nearly impossible to know for sure who's telling the truth about the rape case.

As for the case itself, I'm still not sure what I think about it. Based on your post, it's totally possible that Shiney's innocent. On the other hand, perhaps the maid retracted her statement because she was forced into doing so? Or paid under the table by the defendant? Clearly I've been watching way too many Bollywood movies!

Either way, I agree that Shiney was a great actor and I love his work. I think it's sad that we most probably won't be seeing him in films anymore--whether it be because of his own mistakes, or his maid's.

Kassy said...

Bolly hood - I think the same thing and it makes me very very sad because I do love his work SO much. He picks great, complex roles and he plays them so well. I really hope to see him again soon though - keeping my fingers crossed.