Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kassy On Celebs - Madhuri Dixit

Madhuri Dixit



Okay, I know there are a lot of people who are nervous about what I have to say about their beloved Madhuri and I promise I won't drag her name through the mud and make her look stupid - but I have to be honest, which I think they'd like anyway.

Madhuri Dixit has been in the industry for 25 years. She's won several Filmfare awards and is loved by many people who watch Bollywood and for good reason. She's the most beautiful and graceful dancer I've ever seen in my life and is a master of Kathak dancing. One watches her dance and you are completely blown away. Whether it be upbeat and dance-licious like Ek Do Teen or just screams Kathak like Maar Daala, you simply wish you could dance like she does. If I were to trade places with her for just one day, that's all I would do all day - dance to her big hits. The only place in her dancing that I do not believe she masters is the western dancing. It's not her forte.

However, for an actress, I think Madhuri falls short in some areas. I've seen Devdas and Dil To Pagal Hai, Aaja Nachle, Prem Granth and Dil. She is good at showing good emotion and has very expressive eyes, but there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. It falls flat. I think she over acts very much. Sometimes over acting is called for and is appropriate, but many times it is not and I feel that Madhuri has a hard time gauging these times. I feel that there are many times when she is overrated and I do not believe that she is the goddess or the queen of Bollywood. The only thing she reigns over, to me, is the dancing.

What can be said for her, however, is that she has a lot of screen presence and charm. She smiles and you have to smile as well. She laughs and you must laugh as well. They're the two most infectious things about her and they capture you as soon as you see it or hear it.

I would very much like to see Madhuri making another movie soon, but if Kajol, Kareena or Kangana were to make one at the same time, I would see theirs first.

Star Rating: 7/10

3 comments:

Siham said...

Haha, it was not as terrible as I expected it to be. I thought there would be more criticism when it comes to her. LOL

So about the overacting - of course, it happened to Madhuri to overact, especially in the beginning of her career. Yes, in Dil, it happened to her to do that. But she had still a way to go at that time. But post-HAHK, her performances became more refined, more subtle IMO. I could only advise you to watch movies like Lajja, Pukar and Anjaam. :)

Kassy said...

Siham - Well I don't hate Mads like I used to, and I tried to tell you and Ally that xD She's not my favorite and I still think she's way overrated, but I don't hate her. I'll check into those films :)

Anonymous said...

Started likign MD whn I saw her in Tezaab during sch days. Since den hv liked her nd she is my foremost fav. But was never gaga over her.

All of a sudden just felt d urge 2 watch her movies nd hv literally rediscovered her. D author states tht she over-acted, but wat I found, tht initailly in her career she had ridiculous roles, tht only by her performance she was able 2 make dem believable.Coz even in these roles, where any of d best actress would hv overacted, she did dem wid amazing control nd restrain.

A few roles tht she could hv easily got away wid overacting were Janaki in Lajja nd Chandramukhi in Devdas. Suprisigly it was only her who very subtely played her role in Devdas. All d rest actors, whether lead or supportung were too OTT. She emoted so well, but never in excess.

Nd d character of Janaki was a nautanki woman, but Madz wid her contorlled acting didn't make her a caricature, but an extermely lively nd spirited nd loavble character.

So totally don't agree dat she's an overrated actor. Infact coz of her tremendeous dancing skills, her acting skills hv not been highlighted enough nd I too was suprised tht to find wat an amazing performer she is!