Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: Break Ke Baad *Spoilers*



Break Ke Baad
Stars: Imran Khan, Deepika Padukone
Directed by: Danish Aslam
Released: 2010


Oh. My. God. I had no idea going into this movie just how much I was going to absolutely fall in love with it. Let's get right to the story:

So we have Abhay Gulati (Khan) and Aaliyah Khan (Padukone), two young adults who have been friends since they were very little and have been dating for almost as long. Aaliyah is stubborn, selfish and dreams of being an actress. Abhay or Gulati as he is affectionately called by his 'Al' is mature, dedicated and completely lost. He doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, but he knows it's not in his father's business. Things change however, when Al gets accepted to a college in Australia and decides to go which involves leaving Abhay for a year. Without considering his or her mother's feelings, she leaves. For the first few months, Al and Gulati do their best to talk on the phone, but after a while it becomes too stressful for Al to handle and she tells Abhay she wants to go on a break.

Abhay gets worried about what might be going on there, so he comes to see Al in Australia, where she breaks up with him - really breaks up with him. He however is determined to stay there and win her back, so he gets a room in the house she shares with Nads and Cyrus - a hilarious brother and sister. At first Al completely repels against "Mission Gulati", or Abhay's plan to get her back, but it isn't long before they become friends again. Near the end of her school year, Al gets offered a movie deal and excitedly takes it until she finds out just how unhappy it makes her mother. She goes back to Delhi, leaving Abhay behind heartbroken but with his new and booming restaurant.

After some convincing from her mother, Al decides to go back to Australia and take the movie deal. While there, she has a heart to heart with Abhay and tells him that she hopes he'll get married so that he can move on from her. He doesn't deserve to be unhappy because of what she did to him. So Gulati goes back to India and very soon after, Cyrus gets a call from Abhay who tells him that he is getting married. After realizing that she still loves him Aaliyah gets on a plane and goes to tell Abhay that she wants to marry him. After arriving and giving Abhay a long speech abut why they should get married, she finds out that she was the one he was going to marry the entire time. During the credits, we see that they are living a happy life, spending their honeymoon on the set of Al's movie and have a daughter named Sarah.

This story completely blew me away. One of the taglines for the movie is that it's a love story that's a little different - and I couldn't agree more. I thought it was great. We see so many Hindi love stories about the couple who fight the urge to love each other, but we don't usually see a couple that is together, breaks up and slowly gets back together. Put a great story together with comedy and some very sweet scenes and you have a great film.

The acting was superb as well. I found this to be Imran's best role yet (which I believe is partially thanks to having Deepika as his costar). He was very convincing when Abhay was supposed to be happy and when Abhay was supposed to be sad. I was very impressed and his comedy was great as well. He's making his way everyone and he's definitely the next big Khan - look out! Deepika was amazing as well. I hated... hated Aaliyah. Al was way too selfish (and coming from me, that's saying a lot) but Deepika's performance as her was top notch and completely different from her role in Om Shanti Om, the other movie I've seen her in. With Imran as her hero, she had more room and time to shine, which was in a way stolen from her when she was with Shahrukh.

The music was... Let's just say, it's been a while since I've loved a song as much as Adhoore. Because I know very little Hindi, most of the time my liking for a song is because of the way it sounds, but with Adhoore, I also love it for the lyrics. They're amazingly sweet and fit perfectly with the movie (which they should). The other songs were great as well and fit very nicely with the scenes. I'm downloading the entire soundtrack as we speak.

I would also like to mention that I was never once bored with this film. Again, coming from me that's saying a lot. I didn't think it was possible, but I actually fell in love with this film completely and has now become my new favorite movie over My Name Is Khan (don't get me wrong guys, that movie will ALWAYS be top notch to me and will always be deeply loved, but come on..). This movie affected me in the way I think Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge affected a lot of other people. It just hit me in so many ways and I loved the chemistry that Deeps and Immy shared in the movie. I said a while back that they looked like the new SRKajol and although there will never truly be another one of those, Imrika looks very promising to me.

Shahrukh Aur Sunita Hamesha!

Rating: 10/10

6 comments:

Gaja Gamini said...

Nice!!! This wasn´t a perfect film, but I really enjoyed it. Imrika are defo the cutest jodi of the new generation. And if it is like your own DDLJ, then you know how I feel about DTPH :)

Remini said...

Bolly Babe, you just made my day!! I was so afraid to read your review. I though I'm gonna be subjected to another bashing of one of my favourite movies. I'm so glad you liked it, and even more happy that it touched you so deeply. It really resonated with me too. May I shamelessly post a link to my review? :) If not, delete it ;) http://ollywoods.blogspot.com/2011/06/break-ke-baad-2010.html

Yay for Break Ke Baad love!! :D

Kassy said...

Ally - I completely see now how you feel about DTPH :) There's just those movies that touch you for reasons you can't really explain and this was definitely one of them. I don't know.. To me it WAS perfect. It was like MNIK, I couldn't find anything wrong with either of them, therefore they become the only two 10/10 films I've seen so far. My two favorites! <3

Kassy said...

Remini - Loved your review and am now following you :D I would never bash this movie - EVER. It's too great to me for me to do that. I mean, I went into it thinking that it was going to be so so because I'd heard so much bashing and bad things about it, but I'm starting to realize that what I think is good is very often different from what other people think is good. But that's okay, right? ;) Glad you liked it too! :)

The Bolly Hood said...

Good review, but I'm not sure I agree with your 10/10 rating. I found the film to be comprised of just exchanges of dialogue between the two leads, but what I did like was the way they both criticised wedding customs.

The I agree the film was shot well and I liked all the little quaint things Gulati would buy for Aaliya. That Cyrus character was just strange, truly an oddity (Hugh Hefner eat your heart out!)

Gaja, Remini and Kassy, check out my review of it (I gave it 3/10!), where among other things I poke fun at Cyrus and talk about what would happen if Mission Gulati became a reality...

http://bollyhooha.blogspot.com/2011/05/break-ke-baad.html

Kassy said...

I actually rather enjoyed Cyrus' character. I felt that he brought some good comedy to the movie and lightened up the dull or sad moments. I felt that he and Nads fit well in there. :) But I can see your rating - this movie really isn't for everyone :)