Monday, August 8, 2011

Interview With A Bolly Fanatic: Lalita

So Lalita, what got you into Bollywood?
Aishwarya Rai. I had seen her before in a Non-bolly movie many years ago, and ever since she got my attention. So one day out of nowhere, I decided to search her on Youtube. I remember that the first video I saw of hers was Kajra Re, and I kept looking at videos. And like the 4th I watched was Dola Re Dola. I was just AMAZED... and while reading the comments I read that someone said that the movie Devdas was as good as The Notebook. one of my fave movies. So I googled it and read a bit from the plot. I loved it and decied to watch that movie as soon as possible. It's funny that that same day, when I decided to enter myself in the world of Devdas, I found while zapping channels, in Colombian TV, a Bollywood movie. I only wantched a bit from it, the last 30 minutes, but as it was so different from everything I had seen. I loved it. I came to know several months after that that the bit I watched was from Vivah. And anyways, that was around mid December. I didn't watch anything else till Christmas, since my parents gave me a laptop for a present. And the best use I could find for my new laptop, was of course watching the movie that had been obsessing me... I'd spent the whole day watching Dola Re, and then Maar Dala. So i watched it and changed my WHOLE life. I had never seen something as perfect, as soul touching as Devdas.

So I guess it's safe to say that Devdas is your favorite movie?
Yes it is, though I didn't fell it as my favourite until I watched it for the second time.

Why's that?
Not sure. I guess i cried so bad the first time that I missed details.

Understandable! So who else are you in love with besides Aishwarya?
Madhuri Dixit, Shahrukh Khan and Madhubala. Those four I adore with all my heart.

I can see why. What movies would you recommend to beginners who want to get into Bollywood?
devdas is perfect to begin with. It is the perfect movie. If I want to show Bollywood to someone who doesn't enjoy musicals, I would start with Black or My Name Is Khan. Guzaarish is a good option too. For someone who does enjoy musicals, DDLJ is perfect (smiles)

What do you do besides watch movies and listen to music to further your knowledge of Bollywood?
Well, I read on the net mostly. I visit very often a site called Aishwarya-Spice to find out about the latest news about her. Also, I'm part of a couple forums such as Filmifanatics, Madhuri Magic and Kajol Krazy, and they keep me updated too. There are groups on Facebook entirely dedicated to Bollywood as well. But most important, what has made my knowledge further is the fact that I do Bollywood dancing. You see, I'm taking classical Indian dance lessons with an Indian Guru, but as classic dancing takes so long to learn, we sometimes do shows dancing to Bollywood songs. So that has widened up the whole Bollywood universe for me.

It's really great that you've taken your interests in India and Bollywood farther than the average fanatic. What's your favorite kind of dancing? Why?
I adore classical dancing, and particularly Kathak. I love it because it's a delight to the eyes. It has such a complicated technique, such beautiful facial expressions, but most importantly, such a deep meaning. All forms of Indian classical dancing were born to worship the Gods. So when you dance to it, you feel such a powerful connection with God, that is very hard for me to explain. That's the beauty of it. Learning Kathak has helped me realise that when one dances, one does it for God first or for oneself, and then for others. And when you do it with your heart, that's when you do Magic happen. That's why I feel so passionate about Kathak, and why I decided to become a professional Kathak dancer, even when I'm not what you could call a good dancer.

I think you're a good dancer!
Aww thank you sweetie, the truth is that I've improved, but I have soooo much left to learn.

There's always room for improvement, I'm sure.
Yes. I'll keep learning for as long as I can. (smiles)

I'm glad to hear it. So, where else do your interests lie?
Well I'm a Law student, so it's pretty obvious I love law, and I love reading and I enjoy philosophical discussions and I love politics and economics... I can't help it, I just love studying, I wish I could do it my whole life. Apart from that, I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Ever since childhood.

I think it's great that you're really into law. You seem like the kind of person that would be fair and just and that's definitely something we need!
Aww thank you. Yes I'm a bit of a d reamer. Sometimes I would like to be a superhero and fly to fight injustice. But since I'm only human, I'm guessing I'll do all what's on my hand to help those who need me. that's why I'd like to be a Human Rights lawyer someday. Though I'm still not sure about it.

I think that's a very honorable thing to be.
I think so too. we'll see what comes around. I'm so uncertain about my future.

Well I think one thing is for certain - you'll continue to enjoy Bollywood.
Oh totally. That's one of my biggest passions. (smiles)

One that you should never give up! Is there anything else you'd like to say before we go?
Oh well I just want to thank you, Kassy, for taking me into account for this interview, and I'd like to make a special mention to my didi, dearest Siham, because I wouldn't be the die hard Bollywood fan I am without her.

You're very welcome, and thank you for letting me interview you Lau!
No Kassy, thank you. (smiles)

--------------------
Thank you again to Lau for giving me such an amazing interview!

Lalita's sites:
Madhuri Magic: http://madhuridixit.freeforumlive.com/
Kajol Krazy: http://kajolkrazy.forumotion.com/
Filmifanatics: http://s8.zetaboards.com/filmifanatics/index/
Aishwarya-Spice: http://www.aishwarya-spice.com/
Lalita's Tumblr: http://lalitablack.tumblr.com/

4 comments:

Gaja Gamini said...

This was so much better and mor einteresting than mine! :D

Lau Black said...

Kassy! one question is missing! LOL the answer is there, but not the question.

Acutally Ally, yours is interesting... mine not so much. I hate my english...

Kassy said...

Both of you have equally interesting and entertaining interviews!

And Lau - problem solved! :D

Mette said...

Good idea - I enjoyed reading.