Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Top 10 Bollywood Songs: 10 - Kaahe Chhed Mohe

This is the start of my new series in which I post my ten favorite Bollywood songs. Please understand that I use the term Bollywood loosely, and that this is also based off the songs I've personally heard. Suggestions are always welcome, and I'd like to update it later :)

Coming in at number 10 is Kaahe Chhed Mohe from my first Bollywood movie, Devdas.



The costume and settings are what really get me with this song. I also adore the dancing. Everytime I listen to this on my iPod, I try and recreate the steps I know by heart. It's so fun :) Oh, and let's not forget the lyrics!

maaltii gu.ndhaa'e kaisii pyaarii ghuu.nghar bhare mukh daaminii sii damakat How lovely are her curls, filled with braided jasmine; her face is brilliant as lightning;
chaal matwaarii... her movements intoxicating...
DHaa'ii shyaam rok le rok le rok le Krishna caught hold of me
DHaa'ii shyaam rok le aur achak Krishna caught hold of me and suddenly
mukh chuum le... he kissed my face...
sar se morii chunarii ga'ii ga'ii ga'ii From my head, my scarf fell;
sar se morii chunarii ga'ii sarak sarak sarak my scarf went slipping from my head,
sarak... slipping...
kaahe chheR mohe gharvaala gaa'e Why does he tease me so?
kaahe chheR chheR mohe Why does he tease me so?
na.nd-kumar aiso DHiiTH... Nand's darling [i.e., Krishna] is just that willful...
barbas more laaj linhii laaj linhii laaj linhii By force he stole away my honor,
barbas more laaj linhii by force he stole away my honor!
brinda shyaam maanat naahii.n... Krishna will not heed me...
kaa se kahuu.n mai.n apne jiya ki sunat naahii.n maa'ii To whom can I speak my heart when he does not listen? Oh, mother!
kaahe chheRe chheRe mohe... Why does he tease me?
dadh kii bharii maTkii... A small pot full of yogurt...
dadh kii bharii maTkii le jaat rahi Dagarii biich I was taking a pot full of yogurt down the road
aahaT sun aahaT sun aahaT sun jiya rag ga'ii aur dhaRak dhaRak dhaRak I heard his footstep, I heard his footstep and my heart swelled and began to pound,
dhaRak dhaRak dhaRak... thumping, thumping, thumping...
kaahe chheR chheR chheR mohe Why does he tease and torment me?
kar pakaRat chuuRiyaa.n sab kaRkii kaRkii kaRkii... He caught me and all my bangles broke, broke, broke...
o maa'ii O, mother!
brinda shyaam maanat naahii.n... Krishna will not heed me...
kaa se kahuu.n mai.n apne jiya ki sunat naahii.n maa'ii To whom can I speak my heart when he does not listen?
kaahe chheRe chheRe mohe... Why do you tease me?

Lyrics from: http://www.bollywhat.com/lyrics/devd_lyr.html#4

No comments: