Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: Guzaarish



Guzaarish
Stars: Hrithik Roshan, Aishwarya Rai
Directed By: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Released: 2010


Sanjay Leela Bhansali does it again! This time with his magical drama, Guzaarish.

Guzaarish tells the tale of a once great magician named Ethan (Roshan) who became paralyzed from the neck down in a terrible and mysterious accident during one of his most popular acts. He's lived in a large run-down mansion with his nurse Sofia (Rai) for twelve years - but now he's had enough. He summons his lawyer Devyani Dutta to help him with 'Ethanasia' a project in which he hoped would not only help him get the right to die, but would also help him make peace with his decision.

He travels along his journey with the ever-faithful Sofia, and the budding magician Omar who hopes to learn all of Ethan's secrets. It is a bumpy road full of set backs, second thoughts and revealing secrets that makes everyoen in this story question where they stand on this issue.

The reason I love Guzaarish so much is because of how it surprises you. It seems very straightforward, you think you know all the facts about the characters, stories and such but then SLB throws you for a spin and you discover that there's more to each and every character that you never would have suspected before. And what makes it even better is that each and every twist and turn helps weave the story and makes the characters more real to the viewer.

As for the acting - Hrithik was great as Ethan, but Aishwarya was undoubtedly the heart and soul of this entire film. She shone throughout the entire 109 minutes, in each and every scene she was in. She simply changed the entire atmosphere of the film to fit what hse was doing and what Sofia was feeling. For example, the movie was sad and gloomy... until Sofia danced to Udi (which, by the way is a favorite of mine) on stage. At that point, the entire movie lit up and was more alive than it had been previously.

Guzaarish means favor, so do me a guzaarish and watch this film! Just be warned - if you cry easily, you will quickly cry your weight in tears!

Rating: 9/10

4 comments:

Mette said...

I only almost-cried at the end, and wasn't fully overwhelmed by the film. It had some great things about it like the main actors, the story etc., but also some things I didn't like: the supporting actors, the incredibly unrealistic court scenes among others.

In my opinion, SLB hasn't fully recovered from Saawariya, but he is on the right path.

Siham said...

that was a lovely movie when I watched it, but some flaws prevented me for loving it.


great review!

Kassy said...

Lime(tte) - I know many people were not very happy with this film, but I felt that the message got to me and I was very touched by it. One thing I forgot to mention in the review though is that I almost felt like I was watching something from a Karan Johar film with how often there were sad parts and I was crying... but I guess that does happen when you're dealing with the life of a paraplegic.

Kassy said...

Siham - I know you were a little disappointed with it, which makes me sad because I know how excited you were for it! :(

Thank you :)